Tri-Community Ambulance Service, Inc. started operations in 1956 under the name of Sanborn-Pekin Ambulance Service. The ambulance service was housed and operated out of the local fire stations and had 3 calls for the first month of service! In 1959 the Bergholz unit was formed and stationed out of the Bergholz fire station. In 1963, Sanborn-Pekin Ambulance Service changed its name to Tri-Community Ambulance Service, Inc. All of the ambulances were stationed in local fire stations.
Calls were received via telephone to local residents who were our phone dispatchers, who then called each scheduled duty crew member and coordinated the response. In 1972, dispatch operations were centralized within the Niagara County Sheriff's Department where current-day dispatch operations still reside.
In 1995, Tri-Community Ambulance Service, Inc. consolidated all units from the local fire stations into one centrally located station on Ward Road in Wheatfield. In 1998 Tri-Community increased its level of care from BLS response to ILS (Intermediate Life Support). In 2001, Tri-Community increased from ILS to Paramedic level, which is the highest level of pre-hospital care in New York State. Currently, Tri-Community Ambulance is a paramedic level service operating 3 Advance Ambulances 1 Basic Life Support Ambulance and 1 Advance Level Flycar.
Tri-Community Ambulance Service, Inc. remains one of the busiest volunteer companies in Niagara County, and busiest volunteer EMS organization in Niagara County.